Curse is a harmful status effect that inflicts a number of bad effects until it wears off (which can be from 5 to 35 minutes real time) or is removed. Afflicted characters have their maximum HP, MP, and Movement Speed reduced. The amount reduced varies depending on the source of the curse.
Caution is advised when afflicted with curse while in an area with undead enemies, as the removal of curse can drop your HP percentage low enough to the point where such enemies will become aggressive and attack.
A special form of Curse (sometimes refered to as Zombie by players) exists that, instead of the normal effects, prevents HP recovery through any means (resting, cure spells, items, etc).
Note: Zombie in previous games refers to a status in which healing magic will cause Damage to those inflicted with this effect.(as does Healing Magic being cast on Undead enemy types, i.e. Zombie) The effect in question is simply Enhanced Curse Effect. To remove the Enhanced Curse Effect , gear that Enhances Cursna Effect must be worn when Cursna is cast. A White Mage with capped Healing Magic wearing Mending Cape and Ephedra Ring can remove this effect consistently on the first attempt with Cursna.
Bane is an upgraded form of Curse, and lasts considerably longer.
How to remove the effect
- The White Magic spell Cursna will remove this effect.
- The White Magic spell Esuna with Afflatus Misery active will remove this effect.
- Using a vial of Holy Water or Hallowed Water will remove this effect.
- The Dancer's Healing Waltz ability will remove this effect.
How the effect is inflicted
Each piece has a chance to inflict Curse effect when hit with physical damage.
- Igqira Lappas/Genie Lappas
- Igqira Manillas/Genie Manillas
- Igqira Tiara/Genie Tiara
- Igqira Weskit/Genie Weskit
- Koschei Crackows
- Genesis Shield
- Chigre - Possible additional effect on hit
- Corses - Envoutement
- Cursed Chigoe - Additional effect on melee attacks
- Diabolos - Cacodemonia
- Dragons - Chaos Blade
- Dvergr - Necrobane, Necropurge
- Ghosts - Curse
- Hydra - Nerve Gas
- Madthrasher Zradbodd - Additional effect on melee attacks
- Magnes Quadav - Additional effect on melee attacks (Beadeaux only)
- Odin - Valfodr
- Promathia - Malevolent Blessing
- Seed Quadav - Thunderous Yowl
- Simulacra - Tormentful Glare (Yagudo statues only)
- Soulflayers - Immortal Anathema
- Thinkers - Shadow Spread
- Tonberry - Words of Bane
- Wandering near one of the Afflictors in Beadeaux will inflict a strong curse effect.
- Curse causes HP>=X activated latents such as Parade Gorget to fail, even if the <hpp> reading has the correct value.