- Note: You cannot start this quest if you have another WSNM quest active.
- Talk to Novalmauge in the hallway at F/H-8 in Bostaunieux Oubliette to receive the Scythe of Trials and a Weapon Training Guide.
- Trading the weapon back gives the option to cancel the quest.
- Use the Scythe of Trials until the latent effect disappears.
- To remove the latent effect, you must perform Weapon Skills and Skillchains on monsters that check Easy Prey or higher to accumulate 300 Weapon Skill Points.
- To check to see if the latent effect has disappeared, see if you do not get the elemental resistance bonuses. If not, you are done. 'Note' the latent effect itself will not disappear, only the bonuses it gives will so you have to unequip the weapon to check this.
- You cannot earn points towards unlocking the weapon by participating in Campaign Battles, but points can be earned while in Level Sync.
- Once you no longer receive the latent effect bonus, head back to Bostaunieux Oubliette and give the Scythe of Trials back to Novalmauge in exchange for a Map to the Annals of Truth. He tells you to head to the Den of Rancor.
- Go to I-13 on the map 2 of the Den of Rancor. Click the ??? to spawn the NM Mokumokuren.
- Once the NM is dead, reexamine the ??? to obtain the Annals of Truth.
- Bring this back to Novalmauge for your reward.
- Novalmauge (Bostaunieux Oubliette)
- Lift the curse on the scythe that Novalmauge has given you and gain a new weapon technique.